How to get to Koh Phangan
Get to Koh Phangan by airplane
The quickest and most comfortable way to get to Koh Phangan is flying from Bangkok to neighbouring island Koh Samui (which takes about 1 hour) and from there take a boat to main port Thong Sala on Koh Phangan or Haad Rin Koh Phangan. On arrival at the cosy airport of Koh Samui you can ask the information desk for a taxi and boat ticket to Koh Phangan.
Alternatively you can fly to the airports of Suratthani, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Chumphon on the mainland as well, from there you travel by bus and boat to Koh Phangan. For more information about the options to travel by plane to airports in the Koh Phangan region please visit the following airlines websites:
- Bangkok Airways – to Koh Samui
- Thai Airways – to Koh Samui and Suratthani
- Nok Air – to Suratthani and Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Air Asia to Suratthani and Nakhon Si Thammarat
- Solar Air – to Chumphon
Get to Koh Phangan by train
There is an efficient train service from Bangkok to the South of Thailand (southern line). The overnight sleeper trains are the best way to go. Check the latest prices and schedules via the service link on the website of The State Railway of Thailand. All trains stop in Chumphon and Suratthani, where you will be provided with a connecting bus to the ferry pier. The total trip by train and boat takes about 9 to 16 hours. A boat ticket to Koh Phangan and transport from the train station to the pier is usually included in the ‘joint ticket’. If you do not have a joint ticket you can always buy a ticket for the boat at the pier.
Get to Koh Phangan by bus
Taking a government bus from Bangkok is a good way to get to Koh Phangan. You can choose from two bus types; the regular bus which offers limited leg space and the VIP bus which offers a lot of leg space because it has less seats than the regular bus. The government bus will continue on the ferry to Koh Phangan so you can leave your luggage on the bus, saving you time and the hassle of changing transport. The government bus leaves from the Southern Bus Terminal in Bangkok, where you must also buy the ticket.
Get to Koh Phangan by boat
Several boat companies provide a daily service between Koh Samui, Koh Tao and Koh Phangan or the mainland, in the tables below you can find most of them. Times of departure and arrival may vary, we recommend that you check with the boat company of your choice before you travel.
- The Lomprayah Catamaran (see picture) offers a high-speed boat service from Mae Nam in the Northwest of Koh Samui and takes just about 20 minutes to get to main town Thong Sala in Koh Phangan. From Chumphon on the mainland it goes first to Koh Tao and then to Koh Phangan. New connection offered by Lomprayah is the high-speed connection between Don Sak (Suratthani) and Thong Sala which takes only 45 minutes.
- The Seatran Discovery leaves from Bang Rak on Koh Samui and it takes about 30 minutes to get to Thong Sala. It also leaves from Chumphon on the mainland and takes about 4 hours to get to Koh Phangan.
- The Haad Rin Queen leaves from the Big Buddha pier in Bophut on Koh Samui (near the airport) and it takes you directly into Haad Rin in about 45 minutes.
- The Songserm Express boat has a daily service from Nathon on the west side of Koh Samui and from both Chumphon and Surat Thani (Lamphun pier) on the mainland to Thong Sala on Koh Phangan as well.
- The Raja Car Ferry
- The Nightboat leaves from Surat Thani Bandon pier. It is very basic and much slower than the other boats. Mattresses are provided so you can sleep during the trip.
Time table boats to Koh Phangan from Koh Samui
|Boat Company||from Koh Samui||Departure||Arrives at||Arrival|
|Lomprayah Catamaran||Mae Nam||08:00||Thong Sala||08:20|
|Mae Nam||12:30||Thong Sala||12:50|
|Mae Nam||17:00||Thong Sala||17:20|
|Seatran Express||Bang Rak||08:00||Thong Sala||08:30|
|Bang Rak||13:30||Thong Sala||14:00|
|Haad Rin Queen||Big Buddha||10:30||Haad Rin||11:15|
|Big Buddha||13:00||Haad Rin||13:45|
|Big Buddha||16:00||Haad Rin||16:45|
|Big Buddha||18:30||Haad Rin||19:15|
|Songserm Express||Nathon||11:00||Thong Sala||12:30|
Time table boats from the main land to Koh Phangan
|Boat Company||from Main Land||Departure||Arrives at||Arrival|
|Lomprayah Catamaran||Chumphon||07:00||Thong Sala||10:45|
|Lomprayah Catamaran||Donsak||10:10||Thong Sala||10:55|
|Raja Ferry||Donsak||06:00||Thong Sala||09:30|
|Songserm Express||Chumphon||07:00||Thong Sala||11:30|
|Seatran Express||Chumphon||07:00||Thong Sala||11:00|